[CentOS-devel] What name would be acceptable for Desktop version of CentOS?

Fri Jan 20 17:53:44 UTC 2012
Matt Rose <mrose at n-able.com>

On 01/20/2012 12:34 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Dear developers of CentOS, I plan to create/start Desktop
> version/fork/respin of CentOS, practically just to add useful packages,
> modified repository with prioritized third-party repositories, maybe few
> tweaks, and built ISO and repositories, so we are not limited to messing
> with manually adding third-party repositories and dealing with
> dependency problems. Basic repositories will remain from CentOS project.
>
> I plan to latter on ask about endorsement, maybe even hosting/mirroring
> project or even running it under the CentOS project flag. I will have to
> formulate my goals for the project and see how it resonates with you,
> developers of CentOS.
>
> For the time being, to keep the ball rolling, I have question about the
> name that you find acceptable (even in the case that I can not find
> common ground with CentOS project and it remains on the sidelines):
>
> 1. CentDOS (Community Enterprize Desktop Operating System)
> 2. DentOS  (Desktop Enterprize Operating System)
> 3. CentOS-DE (Community Enterprize Operating System - Desktop Edition)
> 4. Any new suggestion?
>
> I personally and few other people like the first name, CentDOS.

CentDOS has negative connotations, both with respect to MS-DOS, and
Denial of Service.  As well the td letter combination sounds a little
clumsy.

CentOS - DE or CentOS Desktop would be perfectly acceptable, as long as
the CentOS project itself was fine with you using their trademark.

You could also be a little adventurous and call it something entirely
different, like Chocolate.  (though that probably popped into my head
because of Linux Mint).

Matt