[CentOS-devel] What name would be acceptable for Desktop version ofCentOS?

Mon Jan 23 10:31:54 UTC 2012

On 01/23/2012 03:43 AM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> Till such time as a package manifest is published, the name and content
>> are a bit academic to discuss</opinion>
> OP stated right off, "practically just to add useful packages,"
> So, the base of the "package manifest" is CentOS right from the start.

its the ones that didnt come from CentOS Base that are most interesting-
how many of them have legal/patent/re-distribution 'issues' or 'baggage
as it were'. Where are these packages going to come from, how are they
going to be maintained and patched, what level of assurances can be put
into place that say that these bits will be maintained for a reasonable
level of time...

Provided everything in the stack is opensource, re-distributable and
have no baggage in the areas where we have a local presence, it could
very well be a CentOS subproject. Retain name/branding and use the
distribution network etc.

Also, as Russ already pointed out - we would need to make sure that the
messaging around this are quite clear and dont dilute the distro /
CentOS messaging. Wont be hard to do, just needs a bit of thinking and
organising.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax