[CentOS-devel] pulp as a private mirror resource

Sat Jan 28 15:45:10 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/28/2012 04:30 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I'd like a program that fixed the underlying reasons that make you
>> need a local distro mirror, but don't think copying a bunch of stuff
>> just because it is there is the solution.
>>

> feel free to write something, suggest an app. This specific efforts has
> a different problem:solution pair.

I think the problem is generally the same.  Or problems:  yum with a
mirrorlist makes caching problematic, without one it has a failure
point, and yum doesn't do repeatable updates.  But if you would
arrange the picture on the pulp site into small groups of  clients
doing different services at several different remote sites it might be
easier to why I don't think an intermediate mirror is a good solution.
  What I want is to be able to test updates to a machine configured
for a service, then repeat that update predictably across the set of
machines at disparate locations, perhaps concurrently with another set
at a different update level.   I'd prefer to not bother the official
mirrors for more than one copy of a package, but not badly enough to
copy packages I don't need or create my own failure point.   I have
standard caching proxies at most locations, but they don't help much
until you have pulled a copy from each mirror.  Everyone with more
than one machine at a location is going to have the caching issue.
Everyone with different testing groups is going to have the multiple
state issue.  There has to be a way to deal with the problems that
doesn't involve maintaining a mirror per-distribution, per-version,
per-location, per-reproducible-state.   Even if a tool makes that
easy, it can't be the right thing to do.  Who even wants to keep track
of the last user of each mirror to know when to deactivate it?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com