[CentOS-devel] repo extras enabled by default

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 8 17:15:37 UTC 2012

Am 08.03.2012 um 17:46 schrieb Johnny Hughes:
> On 03/08/2012 10:19 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:
>> Despite the decision to place the centos-release-cr rpm into the extras repository.
>>
>> I just want to ask if there are some thoughts on keeping the extras repository disabled by default?
>>
>> Or use extras for just that extras (e.g. centos-release-cr) and move current extras rpms into the addons repo?
>>
>> this came here up while auditing a system etc. - i noticed some rpms from extras.
>>
>> just thinking loud
>>
>> LF
>
> The extras repo has been enabled by default for all centos releases
> since 2003 ... I don't see us changing that policy.  Is there something
> in extras that you have an issue with?

No - there is no issue here. It is just a thought on the concept
level motivated by this two scenarios:

1. Default scenario: with all default repositories that are enabled someone
                  could only install all stuff that upstreams provides.

2. Tweaked scenario: if i want more (e.g. centosplus or recode rpm from
                  extras) i must use --enablerepo=...

The actual scenario is: installing all would also install additional rpms right now.

How is the maintenance policy for extras? Are the rpms provided only
once or actively updated (e.g. heartbeat)?

Please do not misunderstand me, i am not complaining. I just want to understand
the "life-cycle" and then make my decision (e.g. disabling extras and providing
rpms via internal repository).

By the way - thanks for 5.8!

Best regards

LF