[CentOS-devel] Shipping an EPEL release

Tue Oct 9 20:08:50 UTC 2012
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

On 09/14/2012 08:42 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, September 14, 2012 02:08:40 PM Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> I am trying to understand how this:
>>
>> yum install epel-repo
>
>> is any easier for users than this:
>
>> yum install
>> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/fedora-epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm
>
> Assuming osuosl's mirror is up... but anyway, 'yum --enablerepo=extras install epel-release' (with the repo in epel-release enabled, that is, a direct mirror of what is in EPEL itself) is a whole lot easier to type correctly and a whole lot easier for someone, who is likely to be unfamiliar with Fedora's website and mirroring system and difficulty in finding anything but the current Fedora Desktop LiveCD, to find and to understand.
>
> Also, if epel-release were to be shipped in both C5 and C6's Extras for all supported arches, then the EPEL install instructions are the same and consistent among all CentOS releases, no 'find the right EPEL release and arch' required.
>
> If I want to go to the EPEL repo, it is actually easier to find from the CentOS Wiki than from the Fedora Project website's home page.
>
> But, Alan has a good point about the complete lack of a distro tag, and Russ is completely correct about EPEL shipping packages that do supercede upstream packages without an easy to see differentiator in the package name.  But both of those points are valid whether CentOS ships epel-release (as is, rsync'd straight from EPEL) from Extras or not.  Shipping epel-release just makes it easier for users to get to EPEL.

I was long time out of loop for personal reasons, so I missed this
discussion when it happened.

People that asked that EPEL repo package is to be included in CentOS
distribution are Home users that would like to setup CentOS as file (and
other) server for home or even Desktop use. Since Ubuntu is much easier
in that respect, to complicated procedure will just direct them to ditch
CentOS and use Ubuntu instead.

For popularization of CentOS as a Desktop use, that is path to larger
Server use, thing should be much easier. Adding epel-release (and
elrepo-release) would be excellent step forward for popularization of
CentOS among general population as one of the most stable Linux distros
today.

Example: My friend says that he would like to reinstall his Windows
system with Linux and asks my what Linux distro he should use, and if I
could help him install and maintain it. And he wants full shebang, with
codecs etc.

Now, the difference between

yum install epel-repo

and

Open browser
search for third party repository via google on centos site
find EPEL on page
locate server
navigate to find proper rpm file
explain how he should copy it
find out why his copying does not download the needed file (he has not
selected entire link, etc)

yum install
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/fedora-epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm

(or similar procedure).

You can not dictate the second command over the phone, and without
setting up mailing client, and navigating noob is even more time consuming.

So adding EPEL (and elrepo) package(s) would help popularize CentOS
amongst general population, unless someone does not want CentOS to be
popular so he does not have to teach total noobs how to use it.

Suggestions:

1. centos-release should be altered to incorporate Priority=X line so
the people using other repositories could use 3rd party repositories
more safely, even if *-release packages of 3rd party repos will not be
added.

2. CentOS project could build "Desktop" or "Friendly" ISO's with added
epel-release and elrepo-release files that would stop discouraging
"Desktop" people from using CentOS and driving them to other distros.

And I vote for *-release file to exist in CentOS-Extras repository
without installing them by default.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)