[CentOS-devel] Shipping an EPEL release

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Sep 13 21:16:49 UTC 2012

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:32:06 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> One bit of feedback at LinuxCon this year from people was that we should
> ship epel with a lower barrier to entry. And I have mixed feelings about
> that. But I wanted to know what everyone else thinks about :
>
> 1) Shipping epel-release in CentOS-Extras, so its installable, usable
> out of the box.

I'd vote for this one, although the ScientifiLinux folk have done something similar to option 2, at least through EL5.

The argument could be made that, since the wiki already points to third party repos, a release package in Extras or even Plus that points to those repos shouldn't be a problem and would be my preferred way a change should be made, assuming a change should be made at all.  If a change is made, well, there are a lot of repos out there.  Particularly, if you want functional CD/DVD burning on certain chipsets with certain burners, you have to use Jorg's cdrecord,  and there is a repo out there with drop-in packages that 'do the right thing' in terms of upgrading/obsoleting wodim and friends.  (the repo is at city-fan.org).  I'd personally like to see cdrecord packages in CentOS-Plus, but I'm also well aware of the politics behind this one..... I just had to deal with that particular issue with a VIA K8T890/8237 chipset, and wodim burnt blanks, while cdrecord works fine....  But I digress.

Also, Karanbir, did you receive my somewhat lengthy e-mail about ia64 a few days ago?  If not, can you ping me privately so I can send it to the proper address?  Thanks!