[CentOS-devel] Shipping an EPEL release

Jake Shipton

jakems at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 13 20:10:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 16:32:06 +0100
Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> One bit of feedback at LinuxCon this year from people was that we
> should ship epel with a lower barrier to entry. And I have mixed
> feelings about that. But I wanted to know what everyone else thinks
> about :
> <Snippyidy sniperoo>
>
> regards,

In my opinion, it would only be suitable for the "Extras" repository.
However I can see a potential problem with that. If you add one
additional repository to be easily available it raises the question of

"Well, if you add their repo as an extra, why not elrepo, or rpmforge
etc"

The fact is, if you allow one. Others will "want in". Thus adding more
unnecessary management for CentOS team.

I can see why people would want "easy access" to these repository
files. But a quick wget (or other means) is something that someone who
really wants the repository is not going to be worried about. And for
automated installations a minor change in a kickstart file can easily
be added :-).

It is a minor inconvenience to be a "manual" step. But it in my
opinion is not one which is a big hinder to anyone.

But if the CentOS team is willing to manage other repositories release
files, then it should be in the Extras repository as after-all, it is an
"extra" and will not be found upstream.

Just my 2 pence.

PS: I've been driving all day, so I'm tired, so expect a few
grammar/spelling mistakes :-).

--
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F