[CentOS-devel] Shipping an EPEL release

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Sep 13 21:53:11 UTC 2012

On 09/14/2012 12:44 AM, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>> But for those who do not have prior
>> knowledge, like it or not, yum install epel-release is way easier than
>> to follow "go read our wiki page on adding 3rd party repos and pay
>> attention to priorities". Yes, I know, they should read/learn. But
>> helping them by excluding the "hunt for epel-release and install it"
>> part will not hurt.
> And yum install http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7
> is hard?
No, it is not. But I've seen more than once people getting confused by
the fact that the package name changes over time or by confusion between
the release version and the distro version for which it is intended.

> Googling "install epel-release" gets the following url:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_install_the_packages_from_the_EPEL_software_repository.3F
Right. Only that you KNEW what to google for. Incidentally you also took
for granted that the package name is "epel-release".

> If they can find IRC they should be able to follow enough directions to
> google as above.
If only that was true...