[CentOS-devel] Shipping an EPEL release

me at tdiehl.org

Thu Sep 13 21:44:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> On 09/13/2012 06:42 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Karanbir Singh<mail-lists at karan.org>  wrote:
>>> hi guys,
>>>
>>> One bit of feedback at LinuxCon this year from people was that we should
>>> ship epel with a lower barrier to entry. And I have mixed feelings about
>>> that. But I wanted to know what everyone else thinks about :
>>>
> But for those who do not have prior
> knowledge, like it or not, yum install epel-release is way easier than
> to follow "go read our wiki page on adding 3rd party repos and pay
> attention to priorities". Yes, I know, they should read/learn. But
> helping them by excluding the "hunt for epel-release and install it"
> part will not hurt.

And yum install http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7
is hard?

Googling "install epel-release" gets the following url:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_install_the_packages_from_the_EPEL_software_repository.3F

If they can find IRC they should be able to follow enough directions to
google as above.

Oh and in case it is not clear I am in the do nothing camp.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org