[CentOS-devel] Shipping an EPEL release

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 16:04:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:

>>       "These packages are here for your convenience only; support for
>> using these repos and for the packages taken from these repos should be
>> asked for in their respective avenues".
>
> Yeah, because that has worked out oh so well over the years.  You ship
> it, you support it.  It's that simple.

Wait, what????  We get support?

> If people can't figure out how to add a 3rd-party repo on their own they
> need to re-evaluate their role as they are out of their league.
>
> Strong -1 on this idea.

I disagree.  I'd much rather see commonly needed 3rd party repos
included but with enabled=0. settings.   Then a simple yum command
line override can search/install from them without killing the hour
it's going to take to figure out which repos you need to install and
likely leaving them enabled and much, much more likely to cause
accidental problems.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com