[CentOS-devel] The Guster issue

Nux!

nux at li.nux.ro
Wed Dec 18 19:36:57 UTC 2013

On 18.12.2013 12:36, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> soliciting comments on  http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6820  (
> which
> deals with the partial component inclusion of glusterfs into the base
> distro ). There are a couple of workarounds mentioned there, but none
> seem perfect.
>
> In an ideal world, it would be nice if Red Hat had their RHS gluster
> rpms in line with the gluster rpms shipped in the base distro and we
> could use those into CentOS-Extras.
>
> the closest other practical option seems to be building gluster --with
> server enabled, and shipping the extra rpms into CentOS-Extras;
> provided
> the '--with server' is retained going forward, this would atleast mean
> we have version sync between the client code in the distro and the
> server code in CentOS Extras.
>
> The option of just adding all the gluster code into the distro we
> ship,
> server and client content included, seems very intrusive and might
> have
> an impact on third party expectations.
>
> - KB

I think we should leave the Base glusterfs as it is (for fidelity's
sake) and whoever wants to run a proper setup either:
1. exclude it in yum.conf and use the gluster.org repos for server and
client (it's what some devs recommended me to do)
2. buy RHS

Building the server bits of it sounds very tempting, but you never know
when stuff will stop building.

IMHO
Lucian

Nux!