[CentOS-devel] rpm and ls.do issues

Mon Feb 25 08:19:50 UTC 2013
Oleg Tsarev <oleg at oleg.sh>

Thank you for your answer,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury at shurup.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 16:40 +0900, Oleg Tsarev wrote:
> >
> > The question which I try to understand: do we need update
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH for our binaries? As far I can see, ldd show correct
> > pathes to boost.
>
> This has nothing to do with packaging per se.
>
> The reason why ldd shows correct paths is because your software is most
> probably linked with libtool or any other linking wrapper that was smart
> enough to realize that the binaries are being linked against the
> libraries that reside outside of the standard loader search path, and
> therefore hardcoded an RPATH right inside the binaries pointing to your
> particular library tree.

1) We use CMake for build our C++ software. How to check linked or does not
linked our software with libtool?

2) If RPATH hardcoded to binary, it means, our software would works fine
after installation from packages on clean machine - is it right?
Confirm/Disconfirm please.

> So to answer your question, as long as you keep your copy of boost
> outside the standard loader search path, you can rely on RPATH and
> everything will work automagically.

3) On clean machine too?

> As soon as you are willing to provide libraries usable by other
> software, you should, of course, take care of running ldconfig from your
> SPECs in the corresponding sections (%post and %postun, for instance),
> and manage /etc/ld.so.conf.d files if you have them in non-standard
> locations.

I modified CMakeLists.txt for our software: defined BOOST_ROOT variable,
and FindBoost.cmake successfully resolved path to boost libraries.
We do not need make our boost available for other software.
Should we change anything?

> In your case, obviously, you shouldn't do any of this, and keep your
> boost private to your software, because otherwise, you are going to
> break CentOS base packages that rely on boost.

I renamed boost packages (added prefix product_name-).
The primary reason - we do not want to build boost on every
developer/build/customer machine. We want build boost once and use
everywhere.
For delivery boost libraries/header files etc the most forward way -
packages, and it is really awesome way.