[CentOS-devel] Interested in IA64 build.

Mon Jan 21 16:57:23 UTC 2013
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 10/09/2012 10:46 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> And, well, after 34 hours, 9 minutes, and 53 seconds (with an average
> of 213% CPU usage; having multiple CPUs does help some), the 5.8 GA
> tree is built, with no build failures that weren't expected

> CentOS release 5.8 (Final)
> Kernel 2.6.18-308.el5 on an ia64

> The next step is step building the 5.8 updates, probably in %{BUILDTIME} order as the first attempt, and getting a fully updated system.
Well, it wasn't actually the next step, since other more pressing work
matters took precedence, and the IA64 build of updates, the completion
of self-hosting of the build, etc, took a back seat to major data center
renovations for a couple of months.  I decided I would wait until 5.9
was out.  Now that that has happened, and I got a free weekend to fire
up the space heater ^H^H^H buildhost (again, photos of the buildhost can
be seen at http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16725868 ).....

Almost all of the 5.9 GA updated/new packages are built (just a couple
of packages are being stubborn, and those have a history of being
stubborn, at least on IA64 and on this buildsystem; I'm using smock),
and I have test-updated the second Altix box to 5.9:
CentOS release 5.9 (Final)
Kernel 2.6.18-348.el5 on an ia64

The next step is logically to start tracking the updates from 5.9GA,
first.  Then, work on getting the build to be self-hosting is a thought;
the other thought is going all the way back to the upstream sources and
building them in their build order (by RPM buildtime) to get a few of
the corner cases solved; the really old c5-wip tree Karanbir made a few
years back is the logical starting place, and SLC5 media could be used
to get to that place..... Neither of those are high priorities; keeping
up to date with what I have is the priority.

Third-party repos are also on the plate, since there are several
packages we need that are in either EPEL or RepoForge.  Those are
probably higher on the list than making the build fully self-hosted, really.

But if more were interested in the IA64 build, the priorities could
definitely change.  Given enough interest, install media would be a
logical step, and while that is on my list of things to do, it's not
high on that list.  I can get from SLC54 to C5.9 stepwise, and I have
SLC54 media, and while it is a bit of a process to do, it's not
something I plan on doing too many times, since we only have three of
the IA64 SGI Altix systems.

Again I'll say that this process can be a lot of work.  The vast
majority of the time it takes is in the building itself, and this is not
something that is easily parallelized, at least not by hand;
particularly, 5.5 to 5.6 was a pain due to a couple of major changed
packages and dependent packages that had to be built in a very specific,
sequential, order to get to work (I've documented that in posts to this
list in the past).  5.8 and 5.9 have been quite easy in comparison to
5.6; 5.7 wasn't hard, but 5.6 was.

Anyway, just a quick status update on where my IA64 rebuild stands.