[CentOS-devel] Getting there faster

Nux!

nux at li.nux.ro
Sun Nov 10 09:19:45 UTC 2013

On 10.11.2013 06:46, Brian Mathis wrote:

> Bandwidth limiting could probably be accomplished using 'tc',
> otherwise the
> "bwlimit" option to rsync might work well enough for a simulation.
> Looks
> like 'tc' can help with latency too (
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/614795/simulate-delayed-and-dropped-packets-on-linux
> ).
>
> What kind of control do you have over the mirrors?  One option is to
> reduce
> the amount of data that needs to be transferred.  This could be
> accomplished by:
> a) Transferring only package files to mirrors, then running scripts to
> build the ISOs in place
> or
> b) Transferring only the ISOs, mounting them through loopback, then
> building the repos with symlinks into the mounted ISOs.
>
> I am assuming that the packages in the repos are identical to those on
> the
> ISOs, so there's already a bunch of duplicate data getting sent over.

This might not work, many mirrors do not carry all or any ISOs.
I still think bittorrent/btsync/similar between the primary mirrors or
a select number of mirrors that agree to this should work fine.

Related read:
https://blog.twitter.com/2010/murder-fast-datacenter-code-deploys-using-bittorrent

Nux!
www.nux.ro