[CentOS-devel] CentOS-6.4 OpenStack testing cloud images

Mon Oct 28 13:13:48 UTC 2013
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 28.10.2013 12:41, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> One suggestion, please add also this to kernel command line so we can
>> get some VNC output during boot as well:
>> console=tty0
>
> Is tty0 something that is always in place ? isnt it Serial emulated as
> well in some situations ?

I don't know about other situations, but with these templates the
output goes only to the serial tty (ttyS0) so it can be viewed in the
openstack log file.
If you add console=tty0 we'll also be able to see the same output on
the VNC window, just like with a real server. No idea why openstack
templates ommit this.

>> I'm not sure if the included cloud-init contains the grow root
>> feature,
>> but if it does is LVM partitioning supported?
>
> No, i dont think this one does. its 0.7.1 based - also, is there a
> really stable growroot option somewhere ? I've seen quite a few
> different solutions, but they all mostly seem site specific or make
> assumptions about how the disks are setup, images are built and how
> they
> are deployed.

But you DO know how the image is setup and will be deployed. :-)
My approach was running fdisk from initrd and should be quite safe
assuming the image/template is used as it was meant, i.e. on KVM.

Anyway, EPEL provides "dracut-modules-growroot":

Description : This dracut module will re-write the partition table of a
disk so that the
             : root partition has as much space as possible, bumping it
up to the edge of the
             : disk, or the edge of the next partition.

I would imagine it doesn't work with LVM. I have a test RDO set up and
will try a generate a template with this dracut module included.
I'll keep you updated.

Nux!
www.nux.ro