[CentOS-devel] Official docker images and updates

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Apr 8 17:59:18 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 12:51 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:34:28AM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> Long term requirements:
>> - Update plan for for keeping the docker image updated, along with
>> 'emergency roll-out plan' for critical updates.
>> - established policy for docker and other cloud images.
>
> I saw some comments in the CentOS github about coordinating with Fedora.
> Even if we end up with different tooling for initial creation, I think a lot
> of the surrounding effort can still be shared.

Yes. The TL;DR for the github exchange is this (for those not following):

We currently use ami_creator several tasks, including the docker images.
Fedora uses another tool suite, appliance-tools to build docker.

We're questioning the merits of adding appliance-tools, where
ami_creator currently fills our need.

So lets see if we can get a broader discussion going here:

KB, can you provide some details on what ami_creator is currently used
for beyond docker?

Adam/Matt, could you provide some detail as to the benefits of
appliance-tools, and the capabilities?

If there's enough overlap, it may make sense to move. If not, maybe we
keep using ami_creator and look at other areas of cooperation.

Folks interested in the Cloud SIG, thoughts, comments, fact-based-opinions?

--
Jim Perrin