[CentOS-devel] Request for epel-release package in CentOS repo

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:47:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 07:03 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Brilliant, but hardly new.   I guess the world has changed since the
>> lengthy thread around:
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2012-September/008830.html
>>
>> Funny things happen when different organizations suddenly have the same owner.
>>

> I recommend you actually read the thread Les, it might surprise you.

How can I be surprised?  I wrote some of it - and nothing has changed
yet.   And I'll stand by my preference that 3rd party repos be
included but disabled by default.   If you have more than one enabled
during updates you are likely to hit conflicts or just slightly
incompatible versions of the same package name and leapfrogging
versions.  EPEL may be a necessary evil, but it doesn't include
everything so you'll probably have to make it co-exist with other 3rd
party repos.  Disabling by default keeps it from causing trouble.

But, it is very, very handy to be able to do 'yum --enablerpo=xxx
search pattern' without a lot of prior contortions.  And likewise for
the install when you find the package you want.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com