[CentOS-devel] ostree as a delivery model

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 23:02:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think I'm missing the point of what it does - at least for your first
> system. Where does the baremetal hardware detection/configuration happen?
>

> Anaconda is what installs:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2014-March/msg00028.html
>

> I did the patches against an older branch of Anaconda, I'm working on
> porting them to rawhide.
>
> However on the "compose server" side, the trees are not "installs".  It's
> quite close to just "rpm2cpio"ing all of the RPMs into an unpacked root,
> running the %post, and committing that.
>
> A key difference though is that ostree demands that the trees can be updated
> without %post on the client.  This lack of %post requires some design
> changes in the OS content.  See for example:

I've always thought there should be a simple way to replicate a
mostly-configured machine down to the installed package versions so
one person could set up a machine that works well for a particular
task and 'publish' the configuration such that any number of other
people could have an equally well-configured setup just for the asking
- and be able to follow the updates after they have been
installed/blessed on the master.  This looks close, but not quite...
I think there should be a list of repositories that maintain the
packages in all the referenced versions, and the main part would just
be a version-controlled package list and maybe some diffs/patches to
configurations.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com