[CentOS-devel] updating the official Docker image for CentOS

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Apr 13 00:55:15 UTC 2014

On 04/12/2014 06:31 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>>
>> worth noting that this is represented as CentOS-6, dropping the point
>> release and replacing it with a date - means we can update it more
>> frequently than only at every point release time ( and we set user
>> expectation around that ). We can, if there is a need, still push images
>> that are in line with a point release snapshot.
>
> Do you think it would be beneficial to have both the point release and
> the date? For example:
>
> CentOS-6.5-20140411-x86_64-docker_01.img.tar.bz2
>
> If you start to try to compare behavior within this image to CentOS
> 6.5 installed on a normal piece of hardware it might be easier if we
> can easily look at the image file name and know what point release to
> compare it to.
>
> An argument can also be made that this might spark confusion.
>
> Thoughts?

There is certainly value in having GA / ISO matching images in most
places as well, for those - adding the point qualifyer makes sense. But
I think the default image we recommend people adopt should just be the
CentOS-<Release>-<datestamp> one, also available as
CentOS-<Release>-latest; So people getting onboard, get the best
possible experience, and those who know what they are doing and still
want a GA inline release, can get it - by jumping through a hoop or two.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh