[CentOS-devel] ostree as a delivery model

Tue Apr 22 16:49:32 UTC 2014
Kay Williams <kay at deployproject.org>

As a side note - the deploy tool (deployproject.org) can be used to pull
together a set of packages (essentially a lightweight spin), test install
and update, and deploy to one or more systems using standard tools
(anaconda, yum). It can also be used to script ostree creation (or vm or ISO
image creation, or ...) starting from the mini spin.

-Kay

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Colin Waters <walters at verbum.org>
wrote:

> It's clear the CoreOS team has some great ideas and has put a lot of
> thought into a new model for OS+app delivery.
>
> But what I'd say on this is that I'd like Project Atomic to closely
> orbit the RPM ecosystem.

Wouldn't it be nicer to just make the standard package manager able to
do updates repeatably?  That is, so you could build or update one
system, test it, then tell the package manager to install or update
the same set of packages at the tested versions on one or more other
systems?  Without needing additional infrastructure or tooling...

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com