[CentOS-devel] ostree as a delivery model

Wed Apr 23 16:46:50 UTC 2014
Kay Williams <kay at deployproject.org>

It's pretty quick, easy, and efficient, really. Minimal infrastructure, lots
of caching. How this all works is covered in the project documentation
(deployproject.org/docs).

We can discuss further, but let's *do* move this offline or to one of the
project mailing lists (deployproject.org/lists/listinfo).

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-devel-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-devel-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Les Mikesell
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:28 PM
To: The CentOS developers mailing list.
Subject: Re: [CentOS-devel] ostree as a delivery model

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Kay Williams <kay at deployproject.org> wrote:
> Actually, it is really a minor difference whether we make full copies
> of packages between repositories or hard link them.  Truth be told, we
> defaulted to hard linking in the past, but thought people might prefer
> full copies (even at the cost of extra disk space) to absolutely
> guarantee that changes in one repository don't affect another. Sound
> like we were wrong for at least one person. :-)

It still seems like an inordinate amount of infrastructure setup and
maintenance, given that the packages are already versioned.  Why can't you
cache all the versions you might need together or pull them
directly from the original repositories as needed?   It sounds as
awkward as having to save a full copy of a source tree for every edit
instead of using sensible versioning.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com