[CentOS-devel] [CentOS] don't use centos 7 as a developer workstation

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Aug 3 16:34:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 12:15:43PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 03/08/14 07:19 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
> > Hi,
> > May be it's not clear to everyone.. so this's just a quick notice to
> > everyone.
> > Don't use CentOS 7 as a developer workstation since currently there is
> > not included any developer IDE. As eclipse was pulled out from the main
> > distro and put into Red Hat Developer Toolset (which is imho a good idea
> > not to use a 7 years old IDE). But Red Hat Developer Toolset is still
> > not supported on rhel7 this means currently you have to install eclipse
> > and all other packages from RHDT.
> > Anyway RH said it will be supported...
> >
> > Regards.
>
> Why do you assume that, because your IDE of choice is not included, that
> you should send out a "PSA" style email to multiple CentOS mailing lists?

yes.

and to the original issue: just because it doesn't have Eclipse, why
should that cause everyone to avoid doing development on it?  AFAI am
concerned, a Unix(-like) system with multiple terminal windows, one
for editing, one for compiling, one for testing/debugging is the best
IDE there is. (I realize lots of people disagree.) Until someone gives
me something easy to use that incoroporates a full clone of vi as its
primary editing tool, I'll stick with the plain and simple.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked