[CentOS-devel] Distribution Artwork and logos.

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:31:59 UTC 2014

On 8/12/14, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 12:09 PM, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
>> 1. CentOS visual identity and logos have the authoritative source
>>    files and colors etc defined in a separate repository, in SVG
>>    format and perhaps certain bitmaps for most common uses. These files
>>    are used for everything: distro artwork and any other promotional
>>    material.
>>
>>    .------------------------------------------------------------.
>>    | I would keep this small, clear and logical so it's easy to |
>>    | point people to the official logo files.                   |
>>    `------------------------------------------------------------'

This is the exact purpose of Models/Branding directory in the layout I
am proposing.

>> 2. CentOS distro graphics, things that Alain has been working on.
>>
>>    Maybe these should be organized per release, because things might
>>    change between them, and scripts can evolve over time. These
>>    folders would contain any release-specific artwork like wallpapers
>>    and the motifs that might be used by the scripts. Also some files
>>    might be just there as-is (like a custom wallpaper etc), while
>>    others will be rendered by the scripts - depends on the case.

This is the purpose of Models/Distribution directory in the layout I
am proposing. Inside it we have content organized by major release.
For example:

./Models/Distribution
|-- 6
|   |-- centos-logos
|   `-- centos-indexhtml
|-- 7
|   |-- centos-logos
|   `-- centos-indexhtml
`-- ...

The centos-logos directory would contain the modified source files
taken from the last release of redhat-logos we would use to initiate
the CentOS rebuild.

The centos-logos directory wouldn't include any wallpaper in binary
form. Instead, it would include a configuration file for automation
scripts to describe where the wallpaper in binary form would be
retrieved from.

When the visual manifestation is ready (e.g., it includes the source
files and the configuration file needed to build using automation
scripts), the repository is released to the public using RPM, so
graphic designers can install it in their workstations. At this point
graphic designers count with a read-only directory structure holding
the information they need to build the centos-logos package.

The only component missing so far is the artistic motif. So, graphic
designers use automation scripts to create a working directory and
fill it with artistic motifs which are later used by automation
scripts to render visual manifestations using The CentOS Project
specification and the graphic designer's artistic motif.

Such working environment makes possible to combine The CentOS Project
specifications (e.g., how visual manifestations should be built) and
The CentOS Community artistic motifs (e.g., how visual manifestations
would look and feel) to achieve multiple results.

Having artistic motifs (e.g., wallpapers) inside the centos-logos
directory would prevent the centos-logo package from being reproduced
in different visual styles (e.g., it would be rendered with the
wallpaper provided in the repository only). Nevertheless, if we
separate contexts, it is possible to let the community to render the
centos-logos package with different artistic motifs but exact
specifications (e.g., where the CentOS brand goes, image size, etc.).
Graphic designers would only need to design a bunch of images and run
a command to propose its own version of centos-logos package.

Having custom motifs (bunch of images in PNG, SVG and XCF formats) in
the repository could be an option. However, they consume a lot of
space based on the number of resolutions and color variations you
produce. An online web application which let to comment each file
posted would be a better place, I guess. So, it is possible to
accelerate graphic design interactions.

>> 3. CentOS promotional material repository, tshirts, stickers and
>>    everything else.

This is the exact purpose of Models/Marketing directory in the layout
I propose. Inside this directory there is one sub-directory for each
related component (e.g., CD-labels, CD-sleeves, caps, t-shirts, etc.)

>> By splitting these up we can avoid pointing people into a huge repository
>> with a lot of files, which is confusing, takes more time to clone, and
>> can lead to people using the wrong graphics even.

I agree. Separate repositories and git branches are very attractive.

>> I will need to think a bit to ponder the structure of each repository,
>> but my initial hunch is that it would make sense to split them by use:
>>
>> promotional -> brochures -> centos_for_the_win/
>> promotional -> t-shirt -> 10-years/
>> distribution -> seven -> common/flowertexture.png
>> distribution -> seven -> installer
>
> Alain, is this a structure you could work with?

Well, I need to rethink everything again to see how this structure
fits on what I have so far. It looks attractive.

Regards,
al.