[CentOS-devel] Importing CentOS-6 Sources into git.centos.org

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:11:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/21/2014 02:29 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> Use GPG signed git tags to assure provenance, and the repository can
>> be safely cloned. Rsyncing a git repo is like rsyncing a CVS or
>> Subversion reository. Even small changes in the midst of the rsync
>> operation can corrupt the underlying database.
>
> the objects are checsum'd - the whole underlaying fabric of git is based
> on hash's, a corruption in content would be fairly easy to notice.

So what? It's a broken mirror, and in the midst of writes to
individual repo at git.centos.org, each of *those* will be a broken
mirror. Were you planning on setting up some kind of staging from the
main repositoty to local rsync targets? That moves the problem
upstream. and you'd need to use something like git clones and git pull
to keep those safely up to date. But then we're back to being sure of
the provenance of *those* repositories, and others will still be at
risk of corrupting *those* when that target gets updated. Really,
rsync based or filesystem based snapshots for anything with an
underlying  database all present the same kind of risks.

I assume you were planning on running 6000 distinct rsync mirror
targets, one for each git repository, so I assume the damage would be
isolated to only those repositories in the midst of update.  How often
are they going to be broken? While individually relatively stable
repositories are likely to be intact, repositories that have a lot of
churn are most at risk.

And checksums don't solve the provenance problem. Someone who
maliciously p0wns a mirror site can trojan the site, and without
something like GPG signed git tags, they content becomes very
difficult to verify. it's theoretically possible to sit local working
git clones to talk to several, distinct upstream, remote repositories
and verify contents against them, but there will be frequent
distinctions between git.centos.org and the rsync mirrors.