[CentOS-devel] Request for testing / validation for GenericCloud image

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:09:42 UTC 2014

http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/devel/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-20140826_02.qcow2
( ~ 922 MB)

The qcow2 filesize looks unreasonably large compared to the xz compressed
version. Zero-filling and qcow2-compressing the image reduced its size to
~350MB.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Neil Wilson <neil at brightbox.co.uk> wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2014, at 11:42, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/devel/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-20140826_02.qcow2

> I've registered the image as 'img-c3f00' on Brightbox Cloud for those
that fancy taking it for a spin.

> The disk expands correctly, and the centos user picks up metadata just
fine. Both IPv6 and IPv4 are working.

> Initial look suggests the following potential issues:
>
> The system is not taking note of the domain issued via DHCP. The system
journal is showing 'local domain' as the domain.

> Aug 27 11:02:54 srv-28qnz.localdomain NetworkManager[447]: <info> Setting
system hostname to 'srv-28qnz.localdomain' (from system configuration)

> Additional the avahi daemon is running but appears to start before
DHCP/cloud-init has assigned the hostname, or doesn't reinitialise on the
change of hostname.

cloud-init debug messages don't show up on the console and are also not
logged in /var/log/cloud-init.log. I don't claim I understand cloud-init's
logging crazyness but there's some unfortunate interaction with systemd. I
*think* the problem is that systemd swallows console messages from legacy
services and only writes them to the journal but not the console. In fact,
no output from any of the other legacy services appear on the console which
could help with debugging boot issues. Setting "ForwardToConsole=yes" in
/etc/systemd/journald.conf 'fixes' the issues.

Other than that: Ship it!

...Juerg