[CentOS-devel] [CentOS] don't use centos 7 as a developer workstation

Digimer

lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Aug 3 17:18:36 UTC 2014

On 03/08/14 12:34 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 12:15:43PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
>> On 03/08/14 07:19 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> May be it's not clear to everyone.. so this's just a quick notice to
>>> everyone.
>>> Don't use CentOS 7 as a developer workstation since currently there is
>>> not included any developer IDE. As eclipse was pulled out from the main
>>> distro and put into Red Hat Developer Toolset (which is imho a good idea
>>> not to use a 7 years old IDE). But Red Hat Developer Toolset is still
>>> not supported on rhel7 this means currently you have to install eclipse
>>> and all other packages from RHDT.
>>> Anyway RH said it will be supported...
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>
>> Why do you assume that, because your IDE of choice is not included, that
>> you should send out a "PSA" style email to multiple CentOS mailing lists?
>
> yes.
>
> and to the original issue: just because it doesn't have Eclipse, why
> should that cause everyone to avoid doing development on it?  AFAI am
> concerned, a Unix(-like) system with multiple terminal windows, one
> for editing, one for compiling, one for testing/debugging is the best
> IDE there is. (I realize lots of people disagree.) Until someone gives
> me something easy to use that incoroporates a full clone of vi as its
> primary editing tool, I'll stick with the plain and simple.

"Whatver gets the job done is good". What works, or doesn't, for one
person does not indicate the suitability for others.

Personally, I grabbed the Fedora 19 RPMs for kate, rebuilt them for EL7
and installed them. Works for me for projects more complex than I want
to deal with using vim. I am sure it will be relatively as easy to get
other IDEs working, too. Also, EPEL and other repos should be coming
online before long (if not already), making it even easier for folks to
get the environments they like.

--
Digimer
access to education?