[CentOS-devel] scheduling some downtime for reimzul and git.c.o

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sat Aug 9 22:10:13 UTC 2014

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> there are a string of updates backed up behind git.centos.org and the
>> reimzul services. Things that we had in the pipeline from before when
>> Seven came through, and then all the dev work and inside instance work
>> that was done to make Seven go through :: lots of bandaid's in place.
>>
>> I'd like to schedule some downtime for services, so we can rebase out of
>> some of this technical debt.
>
> Thank you for the heads up. It's always helpful to be able to
> *schedule* downtime. The improvement in transparancy of CentOS
> building that came with git.centos.org has been very nice.
>
> I'm very curious about your disaster recovery setup setup, if any. The
> numerous public mirrors work well for the RPM/SRPM repositories. But
> if you can say, is there anything in place for git.centos.org if its
> hosting data center goes toes up? I've been in the field long enough
> that I've seen any number of "5 9's guaranteed!' hosting sites get
> knocked completely off the air for a day or more.

stuff is backed up, geo-locally and distributed.

> I'd also like to point out that this is one of the occasions when
> using GPG signed git tags would make it safer for me, as a developer,
> to clone someone else's git repository while you're off line, and be
> sure what is actually from the git.centos.org repo and what is not.
> Wouldn't want that to interfere with cleaning up the band-aid work,
> just a thought.

the idea that since git is distributed someone else will have a copy -
atleast the last person to send the last commit will have a good copy is
best ignored.

just going by history, when large git infra has gone offline - so has
most code that was contained inside it.

--
Karanbir Singh