[CentOS-devel] Request for testing / validation for GenericCloud image

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Aug 27 14:06:51 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 02:09 PM, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/devel/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-20140826_02.qcow2
> ( ~ 922 MB)
>
> The qcow2 filesize looks unreasonably large compared to the xz
> compressed version. Zero-filling and qcow2-compressing the image reduced
> its size to ~350MB.

adding in a dd bs=4096 if=/dev/zero of=/var/tmp/zeros thing... but how
wildely accepted is the qcow2c format ? I recall feedback from people
saying that those were causing issues in some places, and most folks
just wanted qcow2

> cloud-init debug messages don't show up on the console and are also not
> logged in /var/log/cloud-init.log. I don't claim I understand
> cloud-init's logging crazyness but there's some unfortunate interaction
> with systemd. I *think* the problem is that systemd swallows console
> messages from legacy services and only writes them to the journal but
> not the console. In fact, no output from any of the other legacy
> services appear on the console which could help with debugging boot
> issues. Setting "ForwardToConsole=yes" in /etc/systemd/journald.conf
> 'fixes' the issues.

will experiment.

> Other than that: Ship it!

Depending on how things go - I will move to signing the cloud-init rpms,
releasing them, and then doing another build on Friday AM UTC.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh