[CentOS-devel] Request for testing / validation for GenericCloud image

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Aug 27 14:15:09 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 02:51 PM, Juerg Haefliger wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro
> <mailto:nux at li.nux.ro>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2 questions:
>>
>> - are these "generic" images supposed to work correctly in EC2 and
> Openstack environments?
>
> Forgot to mention, my testing was done in OpenStack.

this image should work in most places where cloud-init works, I've
tested in ec2 and eucalyptus - and also on a local virt-manager setup
with a fudged config drive iso attached in.

At this point, we will likely need a custom variant for cloudstack,
ovirt, vmware etc. but as much as possible, it would be great to have a
common generic one that works everywhere.

>> - where's the kickstart? I want to use it to build Cloudstack templates

Cloudstack should really just try and get cloud-init working. I still
dont understand what the challenge there is.

> Yeah would be nice to maybe include it in the image itself.

I'll need to clean it up a bit, at the moment its got lots of private
stuff from the buildsys in there, plus a bunch of things are done after
the build is finished.

I guess all the bits can be squashed into a tarball and left in /root -
will investigate that as well.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh