[CentOS-devel] Request for testing / validation for GenericCloud image

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Aug 27 15:32:24 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 04:12 PM, Nux! wrote:

>> Cloudstack should really just try and get cloud-init working. I still
>> dont understand what the challenge there is.
>
> For cloud-init to play ball with Cloudstack 3 things need to happen:
>
> 1 - This patch https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1356855/ (should not affect anything else and also should not be needed in later versions, ie 0.7.6+)

well, cloudstack fixed their bug as well to not need this patch anymore,
admittedly - this happened yesterday:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=blobdiff;f=systemvm/patches/debian/config/opt/cloud/bin/vmdata.py;h=bcf3f3495e75b2b744b791d9f9c68b2008574500;hp=a44c134ffcaea6bb5aa0c3a4992b3cc33ad07a52;hb=b3bfe21;hpb=b866fe750c4678770a4e9e06bda8ef77586305c7

> 2 - As it is, cloud-init will use the Openstack data source by default and it will not work in a Cloudstack environment, it needs to be told to use the Cloudstack data source in the cfg file

But, its able to consume all the other datasources without needing to
set priority order. Can you verify this is still the case with
cloud-init 0.7.5 and propose a patch against the cloud.cfg file in
https://git.centos.org/summary/rpms!cloud-init.git in branch c7-extras ?

> 3 - The data source is not capable of setting the user/root password, a 3rd party script needs to be bundled in - this step can be optional if ssh keys are the only means allowed for authentication, but this would also make the image pretty useless in many ACS environs that AFAIK do use the feature

but you can set a password using user-data scripts right ? so if we were
to support ssh-keys out of the box, with the site specific admin being
able to default a user-data script, that would resolve the equation from
both sides.

regards

--
Karanbir Singh