[CentOS-devel] RFC: OCaml SIG

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 18:02:01 UTC 2014

On 12/09/2014 12:10 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 12/08/2014 04:52 PM, Jon Ludlam wrote:
>

>> I've had a go at making an SCL of the latest OCaml release, which
>> seems to be working OK so far. I'd quite like to get some feedback,
>> to see if I'm going about things the right way. The SPECS and
>> SOURCES are on github: https://github.com/jonludlam/ocaml4021-buildroot
>> and I've been building for CentOS 7 and 6 on copr:
>> https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jonludlam/ocaml4021/
>>
>> Comments and bug reports very welcome!

Hi Jon,

great to see a new SCL, good work! I have couple of notes for
consideration..

* the collection name looks like it includes minor version of ocaml as
well; might be correct, depending on ocaml versioning policy, but
generally the version should only use the part of the version that
likely changes if some incompatible change comes -- thus e.g. for python
we only use two numbers (python27), not three (python274), since the
latest bugfix release do not include incompatible changes and we can
update them

* then I see couple of provides that do not include scl version, e.g.:
ocaml(Ssl_threads) = 9925dd2c278261461f67ee0f74f4149a
I guess it means that some non-SCL ocaml package could be satisfied with
SCL package, which doesn't feel right. We rather require sclname in all
provides somehow

Honza