[CentOS-devel] Shipping Build Tools in one of the CentOS Repos

Jeff Sheltren jeff at tag1consulting.com
Mon Dec 15 16:24:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:

> > Good points. Would a separate cbs-tools repo, with a cbs-tools-release
> > package in CentOS-Extras be acceptable?
>
> that might work, but why do we not want centos-extras to overlap EPEL ?
> Iirc, it already does this.
>
> - KB
>  <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel>

Ahh, I forgot we did this.  I do see some overlapping packages, but I'm not
sure why we do so.  It'd be great to keep the overlap minimal IMO.

That said, it seems that people installing these packages are a *very*
small percentage of CentOS users. Is there a good reason to put these
packages in a default-enabled repo (extras) for all CentOS installs?  I'd
think a separate "CBS" repo would allow for a bit more flexibility going
forward -- especially if it turns out we have more conflicting packages
(with EPEL or whatever other repos).

-Jeff