[CentOS-devel] SCST would like to join the CentOS Storage SIG

Vladislav Bolkhovitin

vst at vlnb.net
Thu Dec 11 01:11:23 UTC 2014

Resending, because it turned out that this is subscribers-only list and I was
subscribed from another address, dedicated for mailing lists.

Hi CentOS Developers,

I would like to ask if SCST project can join the CentOS Storage SIG? We would like to
have a CentOS kernel with SCST included be part of CentOS to let our users easier
access to the latest SCST versions on the latest kernels. If you don't object, what
should we do for that?

Kernel requirements are simple. It's just a standard kernel plus one patch applied +
SCST modules. We already have a script, which creates a kernel RPM with SCST integrated
for the specified kernel.

SCST is an alternative SCSI target stack for Linux. SCST allows creation of
sophisticated storage devices, which provide advanced functionality, like replication,
thin provisioning, deduplication, high availability, automatic backup, etc. Majority of
recently developed SAN appliances, especially higher end ones, are SCST based. It might
well be that your favorite storage appliance running SCST in the firmware. For
instance, from 12 storage systems mentioned in
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/30/emc_to_ejaculate_xtremio_at_launchgasm/
(counting the system this page is about as well), 6 are SCST based.

More info about SCST and its modules you can find on: http://scst.sourceforge.net

Thanks,
Vlad