[CentOS-devel] cloud-init in CentOS

Karanbir Singh

kbsingh at centos.org
Tue Dec 2 00:46:36 UTC 2014

On 01/12/14 19:04, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> That probably requires syncing the following to EPEL:
> https://git.centos.org/log/rpms!cloud-init/refs!heads!c6-extras
> but changing things like the default user from centos to cloud-user
> to align with RH-COMMON settings?
>
> However I was wondering about the general point of having
> packages in RH-COMMON, EPEL (6 and 7), and the cloud instance sig
> Should we consider dropping the EPEL versions, or do we need
> to maintain them to handle settings like the default user etc.?

We are hosting cloud-init in the base CentOS Extras repo, making it
available everywhere, without any extra configs, and keep track of it
and keeping it in sync with EPEL is something that we need to address.
Dropping it from some targets might be ok, but as a first step I think
we should:

- find a way to make sure everyone gets a fair chance for updates
- find a way to communicate patches for features going in
- move some of the repo / target / distro specific content like the
default user, into macros in the spec files, enclosed in suiteable checks.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS