[CentOS-devel] Dependency problems in C5 Extras with gmime, drbd, xfprint, EPEL

Trevor Hemsley

trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 3 20:45:20 UTC 2014

On 03/12/14 18:51, Anssi Johansson wrote:
> Issue #2, drbd:
>
> The following packages are in CentOS 5 Extras:
> - drbd-8.0.16-5.el5.centos
> - drbd82-8.2.6-1.el5.centos
> - drbd83-8.3.15-2.el5.centos
> - kmod-drbd-8.0.16-5.el5_3
> - kmod-drbd-xen-8.0.16-5.el5_3
> - kmod-drbd82-8.2.6-2
> - kmod-drbd82-xen-8.2.6-2
> - kmod-drbd83-8.3.15-3.el5.centos
> - kmod-drbd83-xen-8.3.15-3.el5.centos
>
> If I install kmod-drbd and its dependency drbd with "yum install
> kmod-drbd" and then run "yum update drbd", yum will attempt to replace
> drbd with drbd82, because drbd82 obsoletes drbd. This will fail,
> because drbd is required by kmod-drbd.

Personally I think that the 8.0 and 8.2.x packages should just be
removed. Even 8.3.15 is now superceded by 8.3.16 but the changeset is so
tiny as to not really be worth the effort of upgrading. The EOL for 8.3
was meant to be December last year but this was extended due to 8.4
being just a tiny bit buggy :-o