[CentOS-devel] SCST would like to join the CentOS Storage SIG

Lalatendu Mohanty

lmohanty at redhat.com
Thu Dec 11 13:16:14 UTC 2014

On 12/11/2014 06:41 AM, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> Resending, because it turned out that this is subscribers-only list and I was
> subscribed from another address, dedicated for mailing lists.
>
> ====================================================================================
>
> Hi CentOS Developers,
>
> I would like to ask if SCST project can join the CentOS Storage SIG? We would like to
> have a CentOS kernel with SCST included be part of CentOS to let our users easier
> access to the latest SCST versions on the latest kernels. If you don't object, what
> should we do for that?

Hey Vlad,

IMO SCST would be a good addition for the storage SIG. It perfectly
aligns to the objective of Storage SIG [1].
> Kernel requirements are simple. It's just a standard kernel plus one patch applied +
> SCST modules. We already have a script, which creates a kernel RPM with SCST integrated
> for the specified kernel.

OpenAFS folks have similar requirement and they are working on it. SIGs
are expected to use CentOS community build system [2]  for building
RPMs. So the challenge is to do the stuff in cbs i.e. koji in an
automated way.

I think CommunityBuildSystem wiki page [3] has enough information to get
you started.  Please join the #irc meeting of Storage SIG on 12-Dec-2014
15:30 UTC on #centos-devel and we can discuss more about it.
> SCST is an alternative SCSI target stack for Linux. SCST allows creation of
> sophisticated storage devices, which provide advanced functionality, like replication,
> thin provisioning, deduplication, high availability, automatic backup, etc. Majority of
> recently developed SAN appliances, especially higher end ones, are SCST based. It might
> well be that your favorite storage appliance running SCST in the firmware. For
> instance, from 12 storage systems mentioned in
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/30/emc_to_ejaculate_xtremio_at_launchgasm/
> (counting the system this page is about as well), 6 are SCST based.
>
> More info about SCST and its modules you can find on: http://scst.sourceforge.net

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage/Proposal
[2] http://cbs.centos.org/koji/
[3] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CommunityBuildSystem