[CentOS-devel] C6.6 to C7.0 upgrade report

Orion Poplawski

orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Dec 12 18:19:24 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 10:42 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 12/12/2014 09:18 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> On 12/11/2014 04:43 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> I just tried out the upgrade tool to upgrade a server from C6.6 to C7.0.
>>> Unfortunately the server doesn't some up any more.  Screenshot:
>>>
>>> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/Screenshot_mailmirror_2014-12-11_16:37:55.png
>>>
>>> Doesn't get past Welcome to CentOS Linux 7 other than printing something about
>>> a dependency cycle.
>>>
>>> Will have to look around more tomorrow.
>>>

>> So, the machine finally completed booting after 30-40 minutes or so.  However,
>> it is not pretty much unusable apparently because the sssd* packages were not
>> upgraded.  Perhaps this is because on el6 sssd version is 1.11.6 (as of Dec
>> 9th) and on el7 the version is still 1.11.2.  I would have thought that the
>> upgrade process would have used the equivalent of distro-sync though for such
>> situations (it is what is used in
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum), but maybe
>> something else went wrong.
>>

> Actually, I believe the real killer was openldap:
>
> 2.4.39-8.el6 -> 2.4.39-3.el7
>
> as this caused many programs, including ssh and python (yum), to try to load
> libsasl2.so.2 instead of the newly installed libsasl2.so.3.  Managed to
> download rpms with wget and install via rpm.

The redhat-upgrade-tool on RHEL6 reports:

INPLACERISK: MEDIUM: having one of [subscription-manager audit libsss_idmap
libipa_hbac sssd-krb5-common sssd-ldap pixman mpich openscap mesa-libGL
elfutils-libs ca-certificates gtk2 redhat-support-lib-python
xorg-x11-proto-devel libX11-devel mesa-libGL-devel libdrm libini_config
nss-util nss-sysinit libX11 openscap-engine-sce openscap-utils libXi
mesa-dri-drivers mesa-libOSMesa audit-libs libref_array libvpx tzdata
libxcb-devel libXi-devel tzdata-java libdrm-devel mesa-libGLU-devel gtk2-devel
java-1.7.0-openjdk kpartx sssd-common sssd-common-pac sssd-ipa sssd-krb5
python-sssdconfig nss-tools mdadm python-rhsm elfutils audit-libs-python
libpciaccess biosdevname redhat-support-tool systemtap-runtime nss sssd-client
sssd-ad libX11-common sssd-proxy libxcb sssd firefox nspr mesa-private-llvm
mesa-libGLU cmake elfutils-libelf libbasicobjects openldap pixman-devel]
package installed breaks upgrade

I'd be hard pressed to image many systems without all of these.  Especially
since yum depends on openldap!

Running the tool again on centos6 I see the same message printed - didn't
notice it the first time.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com