[CentOS-devel] proposal on process to carry distro package patches

Connie Sieh csieh at fnal.gov
Tue Feb 4 17:50:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> hi,
>
> https://git.centos.org/tree/sig-core!bld-seven.git
> mirrored at :
> https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-bld-seven
>
> now carries a proposed process to carry package patches. So stuff like
> branding or build changes needed, or even content changes to make things
> work could be carried like this. Primary target is for people doing arch
> work that isnt inherited from upstream.
>
> Comments welcome, were only going to start with this for the i686
> builds, but if it works and is acceptable widely, we can roll this out
> across the board.
>
> - KB

How does this system handle the following cases :

    disttag changes compared to default

    Patch  for SIG 1 vs SIG 2 for the same package.  What determines
    what SIG a patch is for?

    How to handle "disabling" a patch for a package.
      i.e. plymouth disabling "everything is red"

    How are changelogs noted for these patches since they require a spec
    file change?

    What determines the new "version-release" ?

    How does one patch against an older "version-release"?

    How does one patch against a prior "SIG" patched version?

    Can I automatically apply a patch to the newest version of package A no
    matter what has changed.  I.E. apache "default index.html"

    Why separate i386 and x86_64 patches ?

-Connie Sieh