[CentOS-devel] interest in Cloud Instance SIG (from the Synnefo and Ganeti side)

Constantinos Venetsanopoulos cven at grnet.gr
Tue Feb 18 10:48:04 UTC 2014

Hello again,

after a discussion on #centos-devel, I'm writing down here the
way we create our 'system' CentOS image for Synnefo:

[Quoting from our internal wiki]

--- cut here ---

CentOS is a basic (minimal) CentOS 6.5 system which was created using
the netinstall CD (CentOS-6.5-x86_64-netinstall.iso).

Extra configuration:

1.Full update

     yum update
     yum upgrade

2.Install and start acpid

     yum install acpid
     service acpid start
     chkconfig acpid on

3.Clean the yum cache

     yum clean all

4.Remove the HWADDR line from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
5.Delete udev rule for persistent nic names

     rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

6.Install and run ntp deamon

     yum install ntp
     chkconfig ntpd on

     In /etc/ntp.conf put the servers of a specific zone

7.Disable time dependent file system checking

     tune2fs -i 0 /dev/vda1

8.Install network manager

     yum install NetworkManager

9.Allow DHCPv6 responses in the firewall
10.Unhide the GRUB menu, by commenting out the hiddenmenu option in
    /etc/grub/menu.lst

--- cut here ---

After the above steps, the image is ready to get spawned on
any Synnefo deployment and will get customized automatically.

So, do you think it is possible for you guys to have such an
'official' CentOS image targeted for Synnefo?

Thanks,
Constantinos