[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Feb 26 09:37:55 UTC 2014

On 02/26/2014 02:13 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 02/25/2014 03:32 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> What Les meant was the inclusion of the xxx-release packages in the
>> distribution. Those package would not be installed by default, but
>> will be just one yum command away:
>>
>> yum install elrepo-release
>>
>> or
>>
>> yum install epel-release
>>
>> Scientific Linux has them and that makes it easy for users to install
>> those repos if/when they want them.
>
> In the past, we had specifically avoided doing this for a few reasons:
>
> 1. We didn't want to be accused of playing favorites with 3rd party repos
>
> 2. We didn't want the expectation of support ("I didn't add anything to
> the default centos, I just yum-installed it!")
>
> 3. We didn't want to ship code that wasn't built/signed by us.
>

> Given the new structure, it may be worth having this conversation again.
> Thoughts from the community?

I am as much in favor of including epel- and elrepo-release as I could
be. They are reputable and widely used and making them easier available
for end users
instead of having people sent to look for instructions would definitely
make CentOS more user friendly. However by default I would keep them
disabled.

I'd even like to see them included in the full-DVD, maybe in a separate
/extras directory