[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:32:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 02/25/2014 04:10 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On the other hand it would save a step for many users and lower the
>> learning curve for anyone new to include the release-rpm for the
>> elrepo and EPEL repositories in the distribution - even if they were
>> disabled by default.
>
> As Jim already mentioned - the point of consideration for such efforts
> would be on the repository people in that effort - we would welcome
> pretty much any reasonable suggestion from their end. For ELRepo and
> what they do - I dont see any reason why they could not atleast use the
> infra and distribution mechanism that we have here and work out of the
> same codebase contents.

What Les meant was the inclusion of the xxx-release packages in the
distribution. Those package would not be installed by default, but
will be just one yum command away:

yum install elrepo-release

or

yum install epel-release

Scientific Linux has them and that makes it easy for users to install
those repos if/when they want them.

Akemi