[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Wed Feb 26 00:13:54 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 02/25/2014 03:32 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> What Les meant was the inclusion of the xxx-release packages in the
> distribution. Those package would not be installed by default, but
> will be just one yum command away:
>
> yum install elrepo-release
>
> or
>
> yum install epel-release
>
> Scientific Linux has them and that makes it easy for users to install
> those repos if/when they want them.

In the past, we had specifically avoided doing this for a few reasons:

1. We didn't want to be accused of playing favorites with 3rd party repos

2. We didn't want the expectation of support ("I didn't add anything to
the default centos, I just yum-installed it!")

3. We didn't want to ship code that wasn't built/signed by us.

Given the new structure, it may be worth having this conversation again.
Thoughts from the community?

--
Jim Perrin