[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Wed Feb 26 11:53:43 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/26/2014 05:31 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 11:25 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>>> there are more than 100 repos out there, which ones are we going to add
>> Those who provide the most desired packages and have been qualified by
>> the community as being in good shape.
> this is the important thing - what I've been trying to stress for a
> while as well. This 'qualified by the community' needs to be a
> measurable metric.

Lets just get specific here an explain why this can be sticky.

OK, so repoforge and EPEL do not play nicely together.  We would, in my
opinion, only be able to include one or the other release file in our
extras repo as installing both produces broken yum installs of packages.

That is but one example.

I personally would have no real problem with both an epel-release and an
elrepo-release RPM in CentOS Extras ... but then why not also
nux-desktop or remi or repoforge?  Those will not all work together, who
do we leave out?

Both EPEL and ELRepo have said they do not want to be a CentOS SIG and
want to be "independent". We have offered and they have refused .. Okay
fine, that is their choice, they are independent.  If you want them in
CentOS, tell them on their lists to join as a CentOS SIG.

Even IF we included these repos and they were disabled, the people who
can not find how to do one yum install command in the wiki would also
not be able to enable the .repo file without looking at the same wiki
page or ask on IRC to get instructions.  It is the same amount of time
to edit a .repo file and enable it as to do yum install
some-release-file.rpm.  If we are going to put the release files in,
then we need to have at least the most common options enabled.

So, which do we add in and who gets left out ... personally to be fair,
I think they should all be left out instead of picking favorites.  I
would also certainly not want to enable anything by default that
replaced core packages.