[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Wed Feb 26 19:04:46 UTC 2014
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 26 February 2014 04:53, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> >> Those who provide the most desired packages and have been qualified by
> >> the community as being in good shape.
> > this is the important thing - what I've been trying to stress for a
> > while as well. This 'qualified by the community' needs to be a
> > measurable metric.
> >

> Lets just get specific here an explain why this can be sticky.
>
> OK, so repoforge and EPEL do not play nicely together.  We would, in my
> opinion, only be able to include one or the other release file in our
> extras repo as installing both produces broken yum installs of packages.
>
> That is but one example.
>
> I personally would have no real problem with both an epel-release and an
> elrepo-release RPM in CentOS Extras ... but then why not also
> nux-desktop or remi or repoforge?  Those will not all work together, who
> do we leave out?
>
> Both EPEL and ELRepo have said they do not want to be a CentOS SIG and
> want to be "independent". We have offered and they have refused .. Okay
> fine, that is their choice, they are independent.  If you want them in
> CentOS, tell them on their lists to join as a CentOS SIG.

Just to be clear here.. EPEL doesn't have an organization which could say
yay or nay on it. It is a anarcho-syndicalist commune at best (an
autonomous commune would be going to far). Some people say yay, some people
say nay, some people say whats in it for me. I expect that most are waiting
to see how the CentOS SIGs get put into place and release stuff with 7 to
see what they want to do.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.