[CentOS-devel] drpms directories taking a lot of space

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Tue Jan 7 08:16:50 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 07:05, Florian La Roche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some weeks ago I looked briefly at the drpms subdirectories
> for Centos-6.4-x86_64. All updtes took about 4GB whereas the
> drpms subdir had already 27GB. Listing the drpms directory by
> size showed e.g. libreoffice updates taking e.g. 35MB whereas
> the full update rpm is 37MB.

Yeah, that's a discussion we had just after the last kernel update push
: 2.8Gb were pushed (kernel/kernel-firmware/kernel-docs,etc) all being
each time drpm'ized.
We noticed that by the fact that several mirrors (slow mirrors) were
still rsync'ing after several hours :-(

> Is it possible to move the drpms directories to special mirrors
> only. Similar to the debuginfo/source/oldreleases? Maybe also
> some tuning is possible to generate drpms only if they really give
> a huge download saving.

Well, Johnny modified the numbers of deltarpms created now (so up to 5
drpms per package now) so the total size occupied by those drpms should
be less than before (was verified yesterday, with last rsync between
mirrors deleting quite some files)
Problem is that we can't move those drpms to another specific server, as
they are declared in the repodata on each mirror : it's a matter of "is
yum-presto installed and enabled" that will trigger the use of those
drpms (or not).

> Sorry, I don't have detailed numbers anymore, I've just disabled to
> mirror the drpms subdir for now. (All numbers above are from memory,
> my local mirror doesn't have drpms anymore.)

And you'll not have errors if yum-presto ins't installed/enabled. Even
if it is, it will try to fetch the drpms and will fail to find them so
it will go with the normal packages (iirc)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab