[CentOS-devel] Interest in a 32bit tree of the upcoming CentOS7?

Pat Riehecky riehecky at fnal.gov
Fri Jan 10 14:56:09 UTC 2014

On 01/09/2014 05:38 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 05:37 PM, Andreas Thienemann wrote:
>> Is anyone else interested in a i[36]86 build of CentOS7 and would be
>> willing and able to contribute to it?
>> Or is x86_64 the only release really needed?
>>
>> If there's some interest, I am sure this could be turned into a nice
>> project.
>
> Thanks Andreas,
>
> there is one rather large giant in the room : almost a third of the
> CentOS userbase hits the i686 tree. Ofcourse, just like any other
> statistic that could mean quite a lot, or nothing at all.
>
> Having said that, there is a large multilib component in the x86_64
> distro - while I havent looked as yet for specific numbers and packages,
> it seems we might need to build large chunks of i686 to satisfy those
> builds anyway ( stress on not-been-quantified-yet ).
>
> ofcourse making things interesting are things like redhat-rpm-config
> with a hardwired -mx86_64 :)
>
> Over the coming days, i will try and make this effort easier for
> everyone and also setup something that allows us all to pool resources
> in. Stay tuned :)
>
> btw. while everyone stays 'tuned' - it might be worth pondering how much
> i686 patch coverage we might expect from upstream. We might be able to
> build this once, will we be able to keep it going trivially, painfully,
> not-at-all.
>
> Its the same question and scope ( but lesser depth ) for the powerpc
> platform.
>
> - KB

The weird bit may be which packages are missing on 32bit.  I know the
kernel source does not build a kernel for i686.

Quick review of spec files (not filtered for "obviously don't run this
on 32bit") shows the ExclusiveArch x86_64 and not any 32bit for:
glusterfs.spec:ExclusiveArch:    x86_64 aarch64
gnome-boxes.spec:ExclusiveArch: x86_64
gnu-efi.spec:ExclusiveArch: x86_64
hyperv-daemons.spec:ExclusiveArch:  x86_64
infinipath-psm.spec:ExclusiveArch: x86_64
libguestfs.spec:ExclusiveArch: x86_64
libipathverbs.spec:ExclusiveArch: x86_64
pesign.spec:ExclusiveArch: x86_64
qemu-kvm.spec:ExclusiveArch: x86_64
ras-utils.spec:ExclusiveArch:    x86_64
sanlock.spec:ExclusiveArch:  x86_64