[CentOS-devel] [REQUEST] Create the CentOS Hosting SIG
jim at jimjag.com
Fri Jan 10 15:06:32 UTC 2014
One of the proposed Future SIGs (http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup)
is the Hosting (or "Web Hosters") SIG. Since Web Hosters are one of
the key and core users of CentOS, this seems like a SIG that
should be started sooner, rather than later :)
I'd like to propose that such a SIG be started.
Following the proposed requirements listed:
* The topic for the group must be related to CentOS, or a use scenario
This is an obvious alignment. As noted above, CentOS is a popular
choice for Web Hosters and ISPs.
* There must be adequate control and feedback into the CentOS community
Such feedback would be vital to the success of this SIG.
* Generally, all communication as to the work of the SIG should be public,
understanding that sometimes a matter may need to be private; in such
cases, please consult with the Devteam member out of band of the SIG.
My preference would be to use public, archived lists for all development
* All code produced within the SIG must be compatible with a FOSS license
presently used by CentOS; if a new license is wanted, again, please
consult with the Devteam member
My preference that all new code and development be under the ALv2 license.
* All documentation produced within the SIG must be compatible with the
license of this wiki
* We would expect teams to be watchful of general CentOS directions from
My expectation would be an extremely tight feedback loop between the
Hosting SIG and the general CentOS direction.
* At least one member of the SIG, who need not be the lead, needs to be a
member of the CentOS Devteam.
Agreed. I welcome suggestions.
A bit about myself: Web Hosting is near and dear to my heart, having
created a small ISP/Web Hosting business and helping develop the Apache
HTTP server. I've been known to speak and write about web hosting.
I am currently employed by Red Hat, Inc. but this request is not
being made formally with my Red Hat hat on.
More information about the CentOS-devel