[CentOS-devel] A format request to create a Eucalyptus Special Interest Group

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Fri Jan 10 22:48:35 UTC 2014

On 01/10/2014 03:36 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 01/10/2014 05:26 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> On 01/10/2014 12:57 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>>> How do we proceed?  What discussion needs to take place, and who can
>>> say yes to move this request forward?
>>
>> What (if any) packages would you need which are not in the core platform
>> (that is, either packages which aren't there at all, or that would need
>> to be newer/patched compared to core)?
>>
>> The best option from my point of view would be to have Eucalyptus
>> participating in a Cloud SIG, and spinning a Euca variant from that.
>> Would that be OK with you?
>>

> I'd love to see a "choose your own cloud adventure" LiveCD variant,
> where one could easily compare, OpenStack, Eucalyptus, CloudStack,
> OpenNebula, etc., either side-by-side, or as options during the startup.

Every Cloud initiative should prepare a list of replaced and added
packages with minimum versions and any matches should be examined. I am
guessing main concern will be a kernel version. SiG Cloud could have
separate repositories for each Variant and in it different versions of
packages/kernels needed.

If there is a problem with clashing versions of some packet, yum
priority can be used to push the correct one.

Bare in mind that ElRepo project already has 3.10 kernels made to fit to
EL 6 system, so they can be used as an template for Variants that need
newer kernel.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)