[CentOS-devel] CentOS Cloud SIG?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 13 18:41:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/10/2014 12:32 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>>
>>> the xen4centos kernel is mainline based 3.x
>>
>> Interesting.  I'll have a look.  Do you know or have pointers to why
>> they chose to go that route?
>>

> We tried, quite a bit, to try and get the xen stuff backported into the
> 2.6.32-EL6 kernel, but given the patch overlap was something we cant
> control and lack the time and technical depth in kernel code to maintain
> that longer term ( this was essentially Johnny and me, doing this over
> and above most other things ), it was just easier to go down that route.

OK.  Those kinds of reasons are what I would expect to drive a
divergence from the disto kernel.  I'm curious to see how those kinds
of situations work out in terms of bug reports and additional
maintenance burden.

> Secondly, there are quite a few anecdotal pieces on dramatic performance
> improvements in newer kernels, I know atleast one of the top 5 CDN's (
> ie carry > 25Gibt/sec ) that recently switched over from the distro
> centos kernel to a inhouse 3.10 build for 'network perforamnce'.
>
> In quotes, because repeated questions and pokes in various media have
> failed to get a reasonable, tangiable, technical response out of them
> beyond 'network perforamance'.

Interesting.  I suppose it's possible but without actually data
there's really no way to tell.  It might even be that they modified
3.10 themselves to gain that performance and are reluctant to talk
about it?

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep watching the lists for SIG proposals
with interest.

josh