[CentOS-devel] Repository structures for SIG and variants in the future

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Mon Jan 13 20:27:31 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 08:18 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> The way I envision this working is as follows:
>>
>>   - Tier 1 repositories: Adds packages only. These repos may not update
>> or replace anything in the core distribution. (Example: EPEL)
>
> What about the scenario where you want packages from more than one
> tier 1 repo?   Will there be some coordination to at least try to
> avoid conflicts across them or document the workarounds if they
> happen?    It will probably be common to require EPEL in addition to
> at least one other tier 1 (unless there is a horrible amount of
> duplication) - so what will prevent the addition of packages into EPEL
> that conflict with other tier 1's even if they start out without
> conflicts?

I proposed (in thread "Repositories in new ecosystem and Desktop
version") that yum priorities levels/numbers (and Manuel Wolfshant
proposed exclude/include) are being agreed on for CentOS maintained  and
3rd party repositories. The whole proposal is in that thread, and I was
hoping to get some responses anyway.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)